Modern energy is a basic necessity, a human right and a rapidly rising need. The world’s long-term energy needs are unprecedented, and coal is the sustainable fuel to deliver the power at scale.
Coal alone has the affordability, abundance, availability and versatility to deliver the 3Es: economic growth, energy security and environmental solutions.
Delivering Economic Growth
Coal is a catalyst for economic growth, powering the largest and best global economies. Greater use of coal is a critical part of a balanced energy approach to alleviating poverty.
Citizens with access to affordable energy, fueled by coal, live longer and better.
- The need for coal-fueled energy is greatest among those who have the least. More than 3.6 billion people lack adequate energy access; more than a billion people have none at all.
- The World Bank estimates the loss of 1.5 million lives annually due to energy poverty. This is a tragedy we have the power to solve by expanding access to coal-fueled power.
- Energy needs will only escalate as populations grow and the developing world seeks a better standard of living.
Delivering Energy Security
Coal is affordable, abundant and reliable. Reserves are large and diverse, spanning nations large and small on every major continent. The world has trillions of tons of coal, comprising 60 percent of our global energy resources.
- In contrast, many other energy sources have proven too small in scale, too difficult to drill or too expensive to deliver.
- Coal is versatile. Btu Conversion technologies can transform the energy stored in coal into other high demand forms of energy, including natural gas, transportation fuels and hydrogen.
- The world is turning to coal. We will use one ton of coal for every man woman and child this year. In as little as 25 years, the world will need the equivalent of six times the current generating capacity of the European Union.
Delivering Environmental Solutions
Clean coal is an environmental success story. In the United States alone, coal use and gross domestic product have tripled since 1970 as criteria emissions declined nearly 90 percent. The next generation of supercritical, gasification and carbon capture and storage technologies build on this progress. Nearly 430 gigawatts of advanced coal-fueled generation are under development worldwide in addition to 80 large scale carbon capture projects.
The Peabody Plan will fuel a high-growth, low-carbon future. It starts with the premise that energy and environmental objectives are compatible and achievable with technology. Our plan calls on leaders to alleviate energy poverty and deliver global energy access by 2050 through greater use of coal and advanced technologies. Peabody is the global leader in clean coal solutions. We are advancing more than a dozen major clean coal and low carbon technology projects and partnerships to achieve the ultimate goal of near-zero emissions from coal fueled generation.
Learn more in our Corporate and Social Responsibility Report.
Back to Top