Wambo Estate, Warkworth — History and Development
Wambo (now referred to as the Wambo Homestead Complex) was established by emancipist entrepreneur James Hale and the eight buildings of the homestead complex were constructed c1830-1906.
The Wambo Homestead Complex was made subject to a Permanent Conservation Order in 1982 while under the ownership of Joan Margaret Plesick. In 1987, the site was bought by Wambo Mining Corporation (now Wambo Coal Pty Ltd).
In July of 1996 the site was heritage listed on the Singleton Local Environment Plan (LEP). The Wambo Homestead Complex Permanent Conservation Order was converted to an entry on the State Heritage Register in April 1999.
The Wambo Homestead Complex State Heritage Register listing can be found here.
This website serves as a depository for information relating to the Wambo Homestead Complex. Peabody would like to invite contributions from others. Please contact us via the Contact Information at the bottom of of this webpage.
Wambo Homestead Complex Virtual Tour
Wambo Homestead Precincts featuring An Artist’s Impression by Vivien Dwyer (2007)
History of Wambo Homestead Complex
The land upon which Wambo Homestead now stands is granted to Mathew Hindson on 20 April 1824.
Oral tradition indicates that the first residence on Wambo was a slab structure. However, no documentary or physical evidence of a slab structure c. 1825 has been discovered at Wambo Homestead.
The land is purchased by James Hale.
The Kitchen Wing is built originally in c. 1830 as a single storey sandstone building.
The upper brick floor with shingle roof is added to the Kitchen Wing.
The Stud Master's Cottage is thought to be built due to its "Old Colonial Georgian" style.
The Carriage House with Stables and Granary is likely to be constructed in the 1840s.
The "New" House is built in "Victorian Regency" architectural style.
The Servant's Wing is probably constructed as part of the expansion of the Homestead in the 1840s.
Wambo Estate and Homestead are inherited by William Durham Jnr, James Hale's stepson.
Wambo Estate and Homestead is inherited by William James Hill Durham and Charles H. MacQuade Durham, sons of William Durham Jnr.
Ben Richards, Charles H. Macquade Durham's father-in-law, purchases the Wambo Estate.
Built in close proximity to the New House and Kitchen Wing, the Slab Butcher's Hut is built c. 1900.
The Estate is purchased by R.C. Allen and Frank McDonald for use as a thoroughbred stud.
Photographs from the "Photographs of the Allen Family" Collection, Mitchell Library, State Library of New South Wales, Australia
The Mounting Yard Horse Boxes were constructed in association with the mounting yards.
The Slab Horse Boxes are also built at this time.
Wambo Estate is subdivided. Frank McDonald purchases the Homestead and approximately 500 acres for his son, William.
Greater portion of Wambo Estate sold to Wambo Mining Corporation. McDonald family retain the Homestead and 81.5 acres (33 hectares).
Photographs from The Athel D'Ombrain Collection, Cultural Collections, The University of Newcastle, Australia
Permanent Conservation Order made over Wambo Homestead on 3 September 1982.
The Wambo Homestead and 33 hectares is purchased by John Birks.
The Wambo Homestead and 33 hectares is purchased by Wambo Mining Corporation (now Wambo Coal Pty Ltd).
The Wambo Homestead Complex is heritage listed on the Singleton Local Environment Plan on 5 July 1996.
The Wambo Homestead Complex is listed on the State Heritage Register on 2 April 1999.
Photographs from the Wambo Homestead Near Warkworth Archival Photographic Record December 2017, prepared by EJE Heritage on behalf of Wambo Coal Pty Ltd
- B. Collins (1994), Wambo Homestead, A Conservation Plan.
- Godden Mackay Logan (2010) Wambo Homestead Complex, Heritage Strategy, Historical Development -- Wambo Homestead and Farm.
- NSW Heritage Office (2004), Wambo Homestead